Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 7 on FreeBSD, suddenly can't do anything

2015-01-27 09:17:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 7 on FreeBSD, suddenly can't do anything
From: dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>
To: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:11:59 -0600
On 01/27/2015 6:40 am, Cejka Rudolf wrote:
> dweimer wrote (2015/01/26):
>> I did find a work around, but not sure where the problem is for sure,
>> going to post on FreeBSD list as well. the fix, convert all my
>> hostnames
>> in configuration files from fully qualified DNS to IP addresses. I
>> just
>> did this on a hunch, but apparently something somehow has broken in
>> the
>> Bacula name resolution on FreeBSD or at least suddenly on my system.
>
> Hello, maybe DNS server or DNS service is down? Please check
> /etc/resolv.conf and availability of DNS service. There is also
> one important thing when upgrading from FreeBSD 9.x to 10.x, where
> bind (named) is removed from the base system. Since 10.x, there is
> just caching DNS resolver (unbound) and if you had local DNS server,
> after upgrade to 10.x you have to install bind from ports.
>
> --
> Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
> Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology
> Bozetechova 2, 612 66  Brno, Czech Republic

The system is FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p4, verifying DNS was actually the
first thing I tried. My DNS services are handled by a pfSense firewall,
with entries added into its DNS Masquerade service for the local
servers. I have Bind DNS Tools installed on the bacula server, nslookup
correctly resolves all the DNS host names. The host command also
resolves all the host names.
My webacula installation is actually on a separate machine also running
FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p4, its bconsole application is still resolving the
server by DNS host name, but was returning only some data very slowly
due to the Bacula server being unable to resolve the client host names.
The bconole application on the Bacula server couldn't even resolve the
server host name which is also in its hosts file. I have tried with
debugging all the way up to 300, I still only get a timeout on the
connect, no information about it attempting to resolve host names to IP.
Does anyone know what debugging level I need to set in order to get it
to show me the host name resolution process so I can possibly find out
why its failing?

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer