Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 7 on FreeBSD, suddenly can't do anything

2015-01-28 11:51:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 7 on FreeBSD, suddenly can't do anything
From: dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>
To: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:46:56 -0600
On 01/28/2015 9:09 am, Cejka Rudolf wrote:
> dweimer wrote (2015/01/27):
>
> Interesting. What did you do right before "suddenly" actually?
> Nothing, or something and somewhere? :o)
>
>> > It had me scratching my head for a while, because it was still half
>> > working. My nagios and bacula daemons couldn't find any *.local names
>> > anymore, but I could still ping the same machines by name at the
>> > command prompt.
>
> It seems that you have some nontrivial DNS configuration? Some local
> daemon like named or unbound? Could you show us some example?
>
> ping some.server # what ip is used here? what says tcpdump port domain?
> grep some.server /etc/hosts # or is the translation from hosts?
> grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf # do you have "hosts: files dns" here?
> cat /etc/resolv.conf # something suspicious here?
> ldd -a /usr/local/bin/bacula-dir | grep libc.so # just /lib/libc.so.7
> here?
> file /usr/local/bin/bacula-dir # for which FreeBSD is it compiled?
>
> Ping uses gethostbyname2(). Bacula uses getaddrinfo(), if there is
> #define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1 in src/config.h. So ping and bacula could
> behave differently, but it is weird. Unfortunately, nslookup and host
> use different mechanisms. They skip /etc/hosts for example. So they
> can check remote DNS server, but not problems with local translation,
> which seems to be your case.
>
>> Yes to .local DNS suffix, ...
>
> And please how?
>
>> morning ran without a hitch. Then Monday night when I went to login
>> after switching my external hard drive for the new week that's when
>> the
>> problems were noticeable. At first it connected, just horribly slow.
>> After a restart of all the Bacula services, I could no longer connect
>> with bconsole on the local machine.
>
> Could you do gdb bconsole and check, that timeout is with name
> resolution?
>
> And looking into bacula-7.0.5 sources, I think that debug level 100
> and tracing on should be sufficient for tracing name resolution
> (src/lib/bsock.c and BSOCK::open, then bnet_host2ipaddrs and
> resolv_host
> in bnet.c).
>
> --
> Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
> Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology
> Bozetechova 2, 612 66  Brno, Czech Republic

> your
> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more.
> Take a

root@bacula:/ # cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
# $FreeBSD: releng/10.0/etc/nsswitch.conf 224765 2011-08-10 20:52:02Z
dougb $
#
#group: compat
group: files ldap
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
#passwd: compat
passwd: files ldap
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
services: compat
services_compat: nis
protocols: files
rpc: files
root@bacula:/ # cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
search dweimer.local.
nameserver 192.168.5.1
root@bacula:/ # nslookup bacula.dweimer.local
Server:         192.168.5.1
Address:        192.168.5.1#53

Name:   bacula.dweimer.local
Address: 192.168.5.4

root@bacula:/ # host bacula.dweimer.local
bacula.dweimer.local has address 192.168.5.4

host file is default, only has the default local host entries.
root@bacula:/ # cat /etc/hosts | grep -v "^#"
::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain

It isn't just this one hostname that is failing, it was also the
resolution to the clients. In this case workstation.dweimer.local (My
Windows 8.1 PC) and freebsd.dweimer.local (the webserver where webacula
is installed). The nslookup and host commands resolve them properly as
well.

When I finish the FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p5 updates today I will search
the full file system (not including the backup volumes) for any
references to 192.168.1. Nothing else is having issues on the network. I
would say only Bacula has the problem on this server, but since Bacula
is the only thing on the server. If I don't find anything on the system
I will hit up the FreeBSD mailing list again. as it appears to be
something specific on my system. no local named daemon is running or
installed, only have user land bind utilities like nslookup and such
available. There is the default unbound installed as part of the OS. So
maybe its something strange in it, it's running under its default
configuration/options. I haven't even had a chance to learn where you
set any options in it.

Its definitely something specific to this machine as the web server is
running the same FreeBSD version, same network setup and bconsole
resolves bacula.dweimer.local fine from it.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer