Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Purged volumes not being moved to recycling pool

2014-07-27 12:21:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Purged volumes not being moved to recycling pool
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:19:17 -0300
Hi Bill,

I'm not aware about the previous discussion about enabled/disabled volumes. But talking about this post, why do you have to put them disabled if you use them later? Shouldn't volumes be disabled just if they never will be used again? Retention periods and the other directives for recycling are not enough?

Regards,
Ana

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com> wrote:
On 07/26/14 14:11, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Once a volume is marked disabled, Bacula should do *nothing* with it.

Right, I guess I kind of agree with this sentiment.

My problem was that since Bacula was abiding by and acting on retention
periods, I came to the conclusion that their scratch pool assignments should
also be heeded.

I am OK with the idea of Bacula doing nothing with disabled volumes, but that
leads us to the next dilemma which you pointed out:

> We
> might even consider if we want to turn off pruning of disabled volumes,
> but I am not sure that would be a good idea as it could lead to a
> catalog that grows.

Which ever decision is made, I'll be OK with it now that I completely
understand what was/is going on with my purged volumes.

Thanks for the quick response Kern.

P.S. Any chance that either, or both of those actions could be options?

Prune Disabled Volumes = y/n
Recycle Disabled Volumes = y/n

Just askin' :)

Bill