Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Purged volumes not being moved to recycling pool

2014-07-26 13:42:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Purged volumes not being moved to recycling pool
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:37:06 -0400
OK, since I am having such a nice conversation with myself, I thought I would
re-open this issue and continue on.

OK, that is not the real reason.   hehe :)

Kern, I use vchanger with several removable eSATA drives, and also use a
script I wrote to set the Enabled field when I change drives which sets all
volumes' Enabled field to '0' except for the volumes currently available on
the inserted drive - those are of course set to '1'.   This solves a different
problem which we have conversed about in the past on the list.

My question is this:

It looks like if a volume's Enabled field is set to '0', Bacula will purge it
when it is supposed to, but does not move it to the defined Scratch pool, and
instead purges it and leaves it in its current pool.

This was the cause of my confusion which started this thread, because when I
look for a vchanger magazine to use when Bacula asks for a volume, I do a:

list volumes Pool=Offsite-eSATA-Scratch

and was not finding anything available there. That is when I listed all media
and noticed that I had purged volumes "stuck" in other pools - and ultimately
realized that those purged volumes had their Enabled field set to '0'

As a test, just now Bacula was waiting on a volume.  I listed my volumes, saw
that several volumes on vchanger magazine #2 were purged but left in the
Offsite-eSATA-Diff pool.

I inserted vchanger volume #2, ran my script which sets those volumes' Enabled
field to '1', and ran an update slots command in bconsole.

Bacula immediately did:

26-Jul 13:13 bacula-dir JobId 27448: Recycled volume "c0_0002_0031"

and the job(s) continued on.

I realize that setting the Enabled field outside of Bacula is a little
non-standard, but don't you think that Bacula should move a volume to its
specified recycle pool even it the volume is not currently enabled?   I mean,
even though the volume is disabled, Bacula is respecting the retention periods
and is purging all the data on the volume from the db, so why not also respect
the Recycle Pool?

Thanks!

And thanks for Bacula!

--