Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula

2014-05-26 16:15:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula
From: Steven Haigh <netwiz AT crc.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 06:13:07 +1000
On 27/05/14 05:49, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
> Hello,

> <mailto:bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Is there any other good software than Bacula?  I've just totally had
>     it with Bacula. There is no support and every system I've setup
>     crashes because it will not purge/prune or recycle the pool. It just
>     fills up and crashes. I have everything set to 30 days and have
>     plenty of space for 3 months so every 3 Months one of my system just
>     crashes and stops backing up the others do the exact same thing
>     after the hard drive fills.
>
>     I just don't get it. I've run many different backup softwares
>     (Microsoft) before never in my life had such and nightmare of an
>     issue. I must be plain stupid or brain dead because I've never been
>     so upset at a piece of software in my life like I have have been
>     with Bacula!  Support? oh that's a joke they don't even have a forum.
>

> My company provides a perfect Support for Bacula and we have a lot of
> satisfied customers. We are a far better then any available forum. So,
> Bacula has a professional support available and it is not a joke.

Well, I'm mostly a home user. I have a few virtual machines that I back
up and I just migrated to Bacula from IBMs Tivoli Storage Manager 5.5.
TSM was absolutely fantastic - but its only supported on RHEL6 etc.

I've managed to get Bacula running, but only through persistance. The
documentation is certainly written by those who fully understand the
software - with the assumption that you understand it too.

There are multiple things that I have not been able to find answers to
anywhere - that I'll just have to suck it up and see. This includes
Migration of backup jobs, using removable drives as 'offsite' storage,
and the entertainment that is vchanger :\

There is a lot of things that I've just set up on a 'well, it seems to
work, but no idea if its right' kind of basis :)

As such, support for non-business people is - well, as the OP says,
rather poor. I'd love to see the documentation simplified and revamped
to make sense - and not written from the viewpoint of someone who writes
bacula - but I'm not holding my breath :P

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz AT crc.id DOT au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au