Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula on Debian

2014-05-10 11:07:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula on Debian
From: Melvin Ross <melvin.ross AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 10:04:26 -0500

Personally, I've had nothing but trouble with the bacula packages distributed by debian. I've found the most prudent and quickest way to get a working bacula installation in debian is to simply compile it from source. Managing the updates manually is a bit more laborious , but by no means a show stopper.

On May 10, 2014 9:44 AM, "Sergio Gelato" <Sergio.Gelato AT astro.su DOT se> wrote:
* Dan Langille [2014-05-09 19:32:52 -0400]:
> > Who did the Debian packages in previous versions.

The Debian Bacula Team; see http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bacula.html for
information.

> That said, many projects have a build tool, such a poudriere, which allows for easy creation of packages.  Doesn’t Debian?

"Easy" doesn't mean correct. Bacula major version upgrades typically involve
changes to the database schema, which Debian users expect the packaging to
automate for them. I'd rather see this done correctly than quickly.

If I were in a hurry to upgrade my installation of Bacula (on Debian stable)
to the latest version, I'd probably start from the existing package, transfer
the debian/ subdirectory to the new release, then work out what needs to be
changed to make it (a) build, (b) pass regression tests. This is almost
certainly a more productive approach than repackaging from scratch.
At the moment, however, I've got more urgent things to do.