Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage copy jobs using TLS

2014-05-04 09:01:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage copy jobs using TLS
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Alexander E. Fischer" <aef AT raxys DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 14:59:06 +0200
On 05/01/2014 07:45 PM, Alexander E. Fischer wrote:
Hello,

when I first noticed that the Bareos fork has implemented storage to
storage copy jobs I wanted to use that because it would make a lot of
sense for my backup scenario. Only after spending quite a lot of time I
found out that my problems regarding Bareos' storage to storage copy
jobs seem to be related to having TLS enabled for all communications. I
think their implementation just doesn't work for TLS and is therefore
completely unusable to me.

As Bacula has an comparable feature now as well, and getting that
version to run on all of my systems will be quite some work as well, I
would like to know if Bacula 7's storage to storage copy jobs actually
work nicely with TLS, before trying to set it all up. Has anyone
first-hand knowledge about this? What do the developers say about this?

It should work, but I don't think I have actually tried SD to SD encryption.  If can get normal Copy to work on Bacula 7.0 with encryption then it should also work with SD to SD, since the code is the same.  I did check that Copy/Migration jobs in 7.0 within a single SD work with encryption enabled.

I looked at the overall architecture of what Bareos had done, but quickly decided not to look at the details of their code.  Consequently, the Bacula architecture/implementation is very different from the Bareos implementation for Copy/Migration jobs regardless if the Job is within a SD or between two SDs.

Best regards,
Kern

Thanks in advance.

Alexander E. Fischer