Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage copy jobs using TLS

2014-05-09 19:26:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage copy jobs using TLS
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: "Alexander E. Fischer" <aef AT raxys DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 19:23:36 -0400
On May 9, 2014, at 7:13 PM, Alexander E. Fischer <aef AT raxys DOT net> wrote:

> On Fr, 2014-05-09 at 18:42 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On May 1, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Alexander E. Fischer <aef AT raxys DOT net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> when I first noticed that the Bareos fork has implemented storage to
>>> storage copy jobs I wanted to use that because it would make a lot of
>>> sense for my backup scenario. Only after spending quite a lot of time I
>>> found out that my problems regarding Bareos' storage to storage copy
>>> jobs seem to be related to having TLS enabled for all communications. I
>>> think their implementation just doesn't work for TLS and is therefore
>>> completely unusable to me.
>>>
>>> As Bacula has an comparable feature now as well, and getting that
>>> version to run on all of my systems will be quite some work as well, I
>>> would like to know if Bacula 7's storage to storage copy jobs actually
>>> work nicely with TLS, before trying to set it all up. Has anyone
>>> first-hand knowledge about this? What do the developers say about this?
>>
>> Have you tried it?  I’m still on 5 for at least a few weeks.  SD to SD is
>> something I want to do too.

> Sorry I didn't test it in Bacula because Bareos supplied a fix in their
> experimental builds and that one works now with TLS.
>
> I have no idea if it also works with Bacula but I can't really try
> because Debian won't provide packages of the current Bacula version for
> quite a long time and I really don't want to build it by myself on every
> machine or package it by myself. Would be great if Bacula provided
> packages for Debian like Bareos does, or did I just miss them?

Who did the Debian packages in previous versions.  This is really where the
community has to step forward.  The developers can’t be expected to do
everything.

e.g. the FreeBSD package is done by myself, not Bacula.

disclosure: yeah, I’m a Bacula developer and the FreeBSD version is still on
5.x and I hope to change that in the next few weeks.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org