Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] ERROR Spooling/Backups with large amounts of data from windows server 2012

2013-11-20 11:04:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] ERROR Spooling/Backups with large amounts of data from windows server 2012
From: Hans Thueminger <bacula AT ipf.tuwien.ac DOT at>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:58:34 +0100
Dear Bacula Users!

I'm a newbie and have been trying to configure a Bacula backup solution for our Institute for two months. I'm excited of this Software (thanks to the developers for that great work) and I absolutely want to use it :-) At the moment, unfortunately I can't use it as I would like.

We have to backup a Fileserver (Windows-Server-2012, Bacula client 5.2.10) with 400TB of Data with an Autochanger (IBM-TS3500) with two Drives (TS1140). We operate a dedicated Backupserver (CentOS 6.4) with Bacula (5.2.13) which is connectetd with a dedicated 1 GBit Interface to the Fileserver. The two drives of the autochanger are directly connected to a QLogic QLE2562 Dual Port Fibre Channel HBA (on the backupserver). To be ensured, the drives are operated in streaming mode, the backupserver has a 35TB spool area. There are several filesystems connected to the fileserver:
3x120TB
4x40TB

The first thing we have to do is to split the 3x120TB in 6x60TB since Microsoft does not support VSS for filesystems >(64TB-8GB) not even with the latest release (Server-2012-R2). This is a not documented "design" and we got this information from the Microsoft support team. To re-emphasize this, in Windows-Server-2012 it's not a problem to create and use a filesystem >64TB but it's not possible to make a backup of any file of any size in such a filesystem; not even with the in the operating system included Windows-Server-Backup program :-(

Now I'm glad to make backups and restores of files of our 4x40TB Filesystems with Bacula if they are not too big (< 5TB). That works fine. If they are too big (> 15TB) I always get an error after creating the second or third or sometimes subsequent spoolfile (Error: lib/bsock.c...). Never for the first spoolfile! I've tried several spool sizes (from 500GB to 16TB) and different network settings. As attachment (bacula_mailing_list_some_error_logs.txt) you can find some logs, when the error occurred. What I have also tried: - using different Networkinterfaces (at the moment an ethernet cable is directly connected (no switch) between the fileserver and the backupserver and this connection is used for the backups (checked with netstat)) - heartbeat: enabling on the SD (60 seconds) and net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time also set to 60
- AllowCompression Yes/No
- many, many hours for trials

Is there anybody out there who has a similar environment which is working or can point me in the right direction? I'd behappy for anyfurther questions or suggestions since at the moment I'm at a loss...

Cheers and thanks in advance
Hans

PS: As attachments you can find also all of the config files and one complete job listing wich was ok and another one with an error PPS: Today in the morning, I've tried to Signup for a new account at http://bugs.bacula.org/signup_page.php for the bug database and haven't received an E-Mail (bacula AT ipf.tuwien.ac DOT at) for confirming yet (username hthuemin)