Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Concurrent backups to a single disk based pool

2013-11-19 18:18:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] Concurrent backups to a single disk based pool
From: Mike Brady <mike.brady AT devnull.net DOT nz>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 11:54:49 +1300
I asked this question a couple of months ago and didn't get a
response, but have seen a few sort of similar questions lately and
thought that I would ask again before trying this in production.

I have a disk based pool and want to run concurrent backups to this
pool. I am currently running backups one job at a time to this pool,
but doing the backups this way is starting to take too long. A number
of the jobs have runscripts that take a while (a couple of hours in
one case) to run.  During the time that these scripts are running the
Bacula server is doing nothing.

I realize that I could configure a separate pool/device for some or
all of these jobs and get concurrency that way, but this would
complicate copy jobs that run later, hence my desire to do concurrent
backups to the same pool.

I found this example
http://toshine.org/etc/bacula-concurrent-jobs-multiple-storage-devices-client-labeled-pools-debian-installation-configuration/
 where multiple devices are configured that use the same disk based
pool.

This does seem to work in that I do get the desired number of
concurrent jobs running, but I get varying numbers of the following
messages each time the schedule is run.

20-Nov 00:05 bacula03-sd JobId 9569: Job
pfsense03.2013-11-20_00.05.00_31 is waiting. Cannot find any
appendable volumes.
Please use the "label" command to create a new Volume for:
     Storage:      "FileDevice04" (/bacula_storage/FileDevice)
     Pool:         IncPool
     Media type:   File01

The jobs that I get the messages for vary each time.  The job does
retry after 5 minutes and normally runs then.  Occasionally I will get
a second message for a job, but it always retries and I can not
remember ever having a job that didn't run successfully eventually.
There are always volumes available.  Either existing appendable
volumes or capacity with in the pool to create more volumes.

I am using the bacula 5.2.13 packages from
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/epel-6/x86_64/ on
Centos 6.4.

Is this approach of having multiple devices utilising the same disk
based pool a valid approach to doing concurrent backups or is it not
supposed to work?

I am happy to provide the full configuration files or any other
information that may be required.

Thanks

Mike