Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ERROR Spooling/Backups with large amounts of data from windows server 2012

2013-11-21 09:18:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ERROR Spooling/Backups with large amounts of data from windows server 2012
From: Hans Thueminger <bacula AT ipf.tuwien.ac DOT at>
To: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:13:46 +0100
lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote, On 21.11.2013 10:07:
> [...]
> With up to Windows 2008 R2 the supported volume size was 16TB with
> Windows 2012 it is 64TB. Note that their are other constraints with
> VSS when used with volumes containing many files or having heavy load
> while doing snapshots. That said you should always be able to backup
> without VSS, but open files get you in trouble in this case.
I didn't find a way to make a backup without VSS, neither with the in
the operating system included Windows-Server-Backup program nor with
Bacula. But while writing this sentence I had an idea: What is
happening, if backing up a mount point instead of a drive letter? Now
I've just mounted the 120TB Filesystems as a mount point in C: (which is
a 300GB filesystem) and look at here:

21-Nov 12:49 bacula-sd JobId 292: Spooling data ...
21-Nov 12:49 fs2-fd JobId 292: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="Win64
VSS", Drive(s)="C"

and the status says:

JobId 292 Job fs2-PHOTO.2013-11-21_12.46.00_11 is running.
     VSS Full Backup Job started: 21-Nov-13 12:47
     Files=31,223 Bytes=308,963,855,104 Bytes/sec=89,192,798 Errors=0
     Files Examined=31,223
     Processing file:
C:/PHOTO/Projects/PHOTO-Projects/09_ALS_Kaernten/GailtalLatschur/Dif-Gailtal-Latschur/s577_s592_p02.tif

Projects is the mountpoint for the 120TB filesystem!

By now trying to backup G:/PHOTO-Projects/ (which is the same 120TB
filesyste as above), I always received the following error:

17-Sep 15:54 fs2-fd JobId 36: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="Win64
VSS", Drive(s)="G"
17-Sep 15:55 fs2-fd JobId 36: Fatal error: CreateSGenerate VSS snapshots
failed. ERR=The operation completed successfully.

It seems, that this is a way to trick bacula and windows :-) Of course
with this workaround we still have the problems with open files, but the
actual problem which I want to discuss with you is the error I receive
after creating the second or third or sometimes subsequent spoolfile:

>> Now I'm glad to make backups and restores of files of our 4x40TB
>> Filesystems with Bacula if they are not too big (< 5TB). That works
>> fine. If they are too big (> 15TB) I always get an error after
>> creating the second or third or sometimes subsequent spoolfile
>> (Error: lib/bsock.c...). Never for the first spoolfile! I've tried
>> several spool sizes (from 500GB to 16TB) and different network
>> settings. As attachment (bacula_mailing_list_some_error_logs.txt)
>> you can find some logs, when the error occurred. What I have also
>> tried:
>> - using different Networkinterfaces (at the moment an ethernet cable
>> is directly connected (no switch) between the fileserver and the
>> backupserver and this connection is used for the backups (checked
>> with netstat))
>> - heartbeat: enabling on the SD (60 seconds) and
>> net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time also set to 60
>> - AllowCompression Yes/No
>> - many, many hours for trials
> So you really have files with 15TB in size? What would be worth a try
> is the following:
Sorry, that was badly written of me. It's not the size of one file, it's
the size of all files. So what I wanted to write was: "if the amount of
files to be backuped is not too large (< 5TB) it works. If the amount of
the files to be backuped ist larger than 15TB it fails always!"

> - Increase the "maximum file size" for the tape drive. The default is
> 1G and it limits how big the "blocks" on tape are between EOF markers.
> Maybe the counter per file is an int and you therefore have trouble
> with 15TB files?
I guess the spool file is written as one file to the tape which would
mean, that for every spool file only one EOF marker would be written?
Can you confirm that, or are I'm wrong? What would you suggest to set
for "maximum file size"?

> - You should increase the default block size written to tape with
> "maximum block size" set to for example 2M. Warning: You could not
> read already written tapes with non matching block sizes.
Ok and thank you for the warning, that's rather good to know!

> - The spool area doesn't need to be that big, but really fast to
> saturate the tape drive and keep them streaming. Recommended is
> something like fast SSD or similar.
The tapes we are using have a native capacity of 4TB. I thought that
should be the lowest size of the spool size to prevent start and stop
operations of the drives. With the hardware compression sometimes more
than 9TB are written on a tape, so I decided the ideal spool size is
about 16TB?!  So where is my error in reasoning?

>> Is there anybody out there who has a similar environment which is
>> working or can point me in the right direction? I'd behappy for
>> anyfurther questions or suggestions since at the moment I'm at a
>> loss...
> We are way smaller in file size, so use the suggested as theoretical advice...

Thank you very much!

Cheers
Hans