Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Spooling attrs takes forever

2013-11-20 03:49:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Spooling attrs takes forever
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:29:35 +0100
Zitat von Charles Douglass <chas.douglass AT gmail DOT com>:

> On 11/13/2013 09:01 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 11/13/13 10:59, Charles Douglass wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> I know nothing about MySQL optimization.  I downloaded the
>>> "mysqltuner.pl" script and I will run it after the next full backup to
>>> see if it has any recommendations.
>> The mysqltuner script is a pretty decent basic tool.  The thing you need
>> to keep in mind regarding the "mysql-large", "mysql-huge" sample
>> configurations that are STILL widely distributed in MySQL packages (and
>> still widely used by the unsuspecting) is that most of those sample
>> configurations were originally written back when a "large" server was
>> one that might have as much as a whole 32MB of RAM.  These days, that is
>> less than the compiled-in default size of some individual MySQL
>> *buffers*.  So the unwary install the "suggested" configurations, and
>> can't understand why MySQL is performing like a geriatric tortoise.
>>

> I ran mysqltuner before the backup and increased a couple of buffer
> sizes as well as taking this suggestion:
>
> innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
>

> Then I ran a full backup and see this:
>
> 18-Nov 12:45 maple-sd JobId 46: Sending spooled attrs to the
> Director. Despooling 153,470,245 bytes ...
> 18-Nov 21:41 maple-dir JobId 46: Bacula maple-dir 5.2.6 (21Feb12):
>   Build OS:               x86_64-pc-linux-gnu ubuntu 13.04
>
> So spooling/despooling took just about 9 hours.

Even for MySQL on a not too fast machine this is ridiculus slow. We
despool around 1.2GB attributes within around 2 minutes to our
Postgres server. Something is still wrong with your setup. Have you
checked with tools like iotop,top,vmstat what the server is actually
doing during the 9 hours.

Regards

Andreas