Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole mtx-changer issue when loading cleaning tape (IBM tape media)

2013-05-31 10:45:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole mtx-changer issue when loading cleaning tape (IBM tape media)
From: Ana Emília Machado de Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:41:46 -0300
Hi!

I´d like to contribute with the "Cleaning Prefix = "CLN" pool directive. This way bacula knows who is your cleaning tape, when using "label barcodes":

"Any barcode that begins with the same characters as specified on the "CleaningPrefix=xxx" command, will be treated as a cleaning tape, and will not be labeled. "

"The Cleaning Prefix statement can be used in the Pool resource to define a Volume name prefix, which if it matches that of the Volume (barcode) will cause that Volume to be marked with a VolStatus of Cleaning. This will prevent Bacula from attempting to write on the Volume."

And you don´t need to do the "mt rewind/weof" for new tapes, but I use to do so, you can have a script to do it for you, using as many tapes as slots you have.

Regards,
Ana

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de> wrote:
Am 30.05.2013 15:51, schrieb Owner:
> I have CHeck Label = YES
> and
> Label Type = IBM
> turner on.

Not sure if that's a good idea. AFAIK IBM labels are limited to six
characters, and your barcode labels are eight characters long, so
they won't fit. Any reason why you don't want to use standard Bacula
labels?

> Does this mean for any new tape that has never been written to before I
> have to initialize it in the way you describe below?

>> 1) with mtx or mtx-changer script load each tape into drive and do:
>>
>> 1.a) mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>> 1.b) mt -f /dev/nst0 weof
>>
>> 2) after unloading the tape, label them using bconsole command "label
>> barcodes"

Not necessarily. Step 1 is only necessary for erasing an existing
label from the tape, so if it was never written to you can skip
that step and proceed directly to "label barcodes".

OTOH, if the tape was written previously then step 1 will erase
it, so if you want to keep its current content you should do
neither step 1 nor step 2, but add it with "add volume" or
"bscan" instead.

HTH
T.