Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole mtx-changer issue when loading cleaning tape (IBM tape media)

2013-05-30 10:42:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole mtx-changer issue when loading cleaning tape (IBM tape media)
From: Owner <dmalloc AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:16:43 -0400
Hello!
Thanks for the answer.

> You should not load a cleaning tape via Bacula (or mtx).
> Ideally, the cleaning tape should be in a reserved slot which the
> changer hides from the server and automatically accesses when the
> the drive signals that it needs to be cleaned.

In the TS2900 the slot is labeled as a Cleaning Slot, however the TS2900
does not seem to hide the slot from mt or mtx. I will double check the
config though.

> So your changer supports barcodes? In that case you shouldn't use
> "update slots scan" in the first place. Use "label barcodes" to
> label your tapes with their barcodes, or "add volume" to add tapes
> already so labeled. If you specify the cleaning prefix "CLN" in
> your pool definition, Bacula will even know not to load cleaning
> tapes.

I do have the Cleaning prefix set in the Pool definition, but that does
not seem to make a difference when doing the command. I did not know
about the label barcodes, thank you very much for that!

-d