Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size

2013-04-04 03:24:33
Subject: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size
From: "Alberto Caporro" <a.caporro AT consulthink DOT it>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 09:03:51 +0200

Hi everybody,

I've just completed a Bacula deployment within our infrastructure and run through the first backups; while all of them have completed without any error, one of the jobs gave results that I find puzzling.

I backed up our mail server, which is hosted in a virtual machine with two virtual disks sized at 20G and 200G respectively. I'm only backing up relevant files (/etc, /root and /opt) and measured on the server itself, the total size amounts to slightly more than 56G.

The backup job ends with a total size of 145G, which is clearly wrong; the total number of backed up files is however correct, standing at 400k+.

I've tried googling for an explanation, but I didn't find anything relevant; did somebody here experience something like this and/or has a good explanation?

Tech info: backup server is on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, mail server on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, both of them with stock packages; I'm using encryption and writing backup di disk files; if needed I can detail bacula configuration.

Thanks,
Alberto

Alberto Caporro
Consulthink Srl
Via dell'Archivio di Stato, 15
00144 Rome, Italy
http://www.consulthink.it
M. +39 335 1217 394
F. +39 06 4549 2454

GPG key fingerprint
46B5 2D38 2D48 3EFA 5C12 B86B 157D 80BA 2EAD DF41