Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Windiows 7 64-bit

2013-04-04 03:45:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Windiows 7 64-bit
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 09:42:35 +0200
Am 01.04.2013 18:07, schrieb Phil Stracchino:
> On 04/01/13 11:25, dweimer wrote:
>> Runs fairly well, but VSS seems to fail causing the backup to fail
>> every three to four days.
>
> Ah, so that really hasn't improved since I was using Bacula on Windows
> 2000 then.  The same thing happed there; VSS would occasionally just Not
> Work.

I wonder if that's a problem of the client versions of Windows.
I am backing up a mix of Windows Server 2000 (don't ask ...),
2003 and 2008 servers and haven't had a VSS failure in months.

> (And to make it worse, neither VSS nor NTBackup would reliably,
> consistently read open registry hives, meaning if anyone was logged in
> when the backup ran, the registry would be incomplete.)

Maybe that's the point. My servers aren't terminal servers, so
they don't have users log in interactively, only the occasional
administrator.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH