Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question

2012-03-16 04:32:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:30:06 +0100
Hello,

> On my CentOS 6 machines, "bacula-client" pulled in "mysql" which weighs
> a hefty 2.4 MB all by its own. But size is not my point.

The bacula-client does not pull in mysql-server, only mysql-libs.
There's a problem here, can you post me the dependency that yum
generates upon installation? On my systems (rhel4,5,6) the result is
correct.

> Forgive me but I get the impression that you didn't get my point. This
> thread is about the Bacula client aka File Daemon. The Bacula File
> Daemon is just a standalone network daemon for machines that should be
> backed up by Bacula. It never accesses the Bacula database, so it does
> not need any database backend.
[...]
> My suggestion is this: remove the dependency of the bacula-client
> package on the database backend. It's not needed. The File Daemon does
> not access any database.

I got the point, I think that can be done without making things too
complicated. Would it be okay if the actual list of packages would end
up like this?

bacula-client.x86_64
bacula-common.x86_64
bacula-console.x86_64
bacula-console-bat.x86_64
bacula-director.x86_64
bacula-docs.noarch
bacula-libs.x86_64 <-- remove libbacsql*, libbaccats* and the alternatives
bacula-storage.x86_64

PLUS:

bacula-libs-sql.x86_64 <-- this would contain libbacsql* and
libbaccats* required by Director and Storage Daemons

If that would be feasible for you I can introduce the change.

What do you think?

> Thanks,
> Tilman

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).