Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question

2012-03-14 05:22:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, "Babadostov, Imanuel G [Contractor]" <Imanuel.Babadostov AT bsee DOT gov>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:20:00 +0100
Hello,

in CentOS and EPEL you only find outdated clients, in EPEL there's
only 2.4.4, in CentOS there's the RHEL-supported 5.0.0. that
unfortunately has a lot of bugs open.

If you want to use 5.2.6 you need to use the repository at:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/README.txt

These are backported rawhide packages that I mantain and will be the
default in next Fedora releases and (I think) RHEL 7+ releases.

Right now the rationale behind the libraries is quite handy and I
don't see it as a problem or as a "hack". mysql-libs, sqlite-libs and
postgresql-libs packages weight all together less than a single Mbyte
of packages and there's no harm in having them installed and they
don't pull in any daemon or program. If you look at your package base
in your systems you find a *lot* of libraries you don't need but are
there if you enable some configuration on packages. Is that single mb
a problem?

Of course each and every distribution cannot be perfect for everybody,
so if you have a particular need to avoid that 200k libs subpackage I
think it's better if you compile Bacula on your own as suggested and
disable the backends you don't need. That's the cool thing about Open
Source. Or as an alternative you can buy the supported Enterprise
Edition. Last time I used it, it was using conflicting packages that
only used one backend at a time but had its drawbacks anyway as all
daemons were in a single package, so you had them installed even if
you didn't need them. There was also a single "client" package" but
that was bundled with the console as well.

Right now the only thing you need to switch backend is to perform the following:

# alternatives --config libbaccats.so

There are 3 programs which provide 'libbaccats.so'.

  Selection    Command
   1           /usr/lib64/libbaccats-mysql-5.2.5.so
   2           /usr/lib64/libbaccats-sqlite3-5.2.5.so
*+ 3           /usr/lib64/libbaccats-postgresql-5.2.5.so

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number: <choice>

In Fedora 15 and 16, where the Bacula version is 5.0.3 and do not
include the recent development about the shared catalogue library, the
situation is worse, you have multiple packages for all the variants,
and fortunately, we moved away from that. There were long discussions
by mail and on redhat bugzilla bugs to get that sorted right.

Here is the list of packages in Fedora 15/16:

bacula-client.x86_64                       5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-common.x86_64                       5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-console.x86_64                      5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-console-bat.x86_64                  5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-console-wxwidgets.x86_64            5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-devel.x86_64                        5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-director-common.x86_64              5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-director-mysql.x86_64               5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-director-postgresql.x86_64          5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-director-sqlite.x86_64              5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-docs.noarch                         5.0.3-19.fc16          updates
bacula-libs.x86_64                         5.0.3-28.fc16
updates
bacula-libs-mysql.x86_64                   5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-libs-postgresql.x86_64              5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-libs-sqlite.x86_64                  5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-storage-common.x86_64               5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-storage-mysql.x86_64                5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-storage-postgresql.x86_64           5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-storage-sqlite.x86_64               5.0.3-28.fc16          updates
bacula-traymonitor.x86_64                  5.0.3-28.fc16          updates

Here is the list in F17+:

bacula-client.x86_64                       5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-common.x86_64                       5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-console.x86_64                      5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-console-bat.x86_64                  5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-devel.x86_64                        5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-director.x86_64                     5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-docs.noarch                         5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-libs.x86_64                         5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-storage.x86_64                      5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula
bacula-traymonitor.x86_64                  5.2.6-1.fc16           fedora-bacula

On top of this, if you're running a desktop, you probably have that mb
worth of sql libs already installed in your system; mysql-libs is
needed by hplip, gstreamer plugins, net-snmp and sqlite-libs is
required by your beloved firefox. I also want to point out that the
option to build all backend at the same time has been included in the
bacula code especially for this, to ease the package mantainer task.

Since I have some influence on where this will go regarding Fedora et
al, I'm happy to receive constructive suggestions on how to change
things to make them more appetible for everybody. Keep in mind all the
packages are checked with rpmlint, fedora-review and all the tools
pointed out in the Fedora package guidelines so permissions, runpath,
libraries, compile options, etc. need to be properly set up and have
more strict requirements than generic packages that run on multiple
distributions.

Regards,
--Simone

On 14 March 2012 09:29, Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:15:36PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > > Not sure I follow, I'm on CentOS but isn't there only one Linux client?
> > > I can't find any decent install procedures that don't come with other
> > > software on top of bacula.
> > >

> > You will have to ask Centos how they packaged bacula. Each
> > distribution has its own install procedure and packages its own
> > version of bacula. If they do not offer a trimmed down bacula you can
> > compile one yourself. The source code is easily available.
> >
> > John
> >

> For our CentOS client machines, I usually add the epel repository, you
> can then install bacula-fd with a simple
>
> yum install bacula-client
>
> (might be bacula-fd, this is from memory).
>
> HTH,
>
> Uwe
> --
>
> NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).