Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question

2012-03-13 13:26:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:25:02 -0400
On 03/13/12 12:58, Babadostov, Imanuel G [Contractor] wrote:
> I’m wondering if there is a way to install a standalone (minimal) client of
> bacula on my systems instead of installing SQL and web based management on
> each of my machines?
>
> I am trying to control them all from one server running with Webmin and would
> like the bare minimum needed (with minimal changes made) on the client systems
> I’m backing up.

First, do a search to see if there are any matches to "bacula"

# yum search bacula

--[snip]--

Finished
Matched: bacula

bacula-client.i386 : Bacula backup client
bacula-common.i386 : Common Bacula utilities
bacula-console.i386 : Bacula management console
bacula-console-gnome.i386 : Bacula console for the Gnome desktop environment
bacula-console-wxwidgets.i386 : Bacula console using the wx widgets toolkit
bacula-director-common.i386 : Common Bacula Director files
bacula-director-mysql.i386 : Bacula Director with MySQL database support
bacula-director-postgresql.i386 : Bacula Director with PostgresSQL database
support
bacula-director-sqlite.i386 : Bacula Director with sqlite database support
bacula-docs.i386 : Bacula documentation
bacula-storage-common.i386 : Common Bacula storage daemon files
bacula-storage-mysql.i386 : MySQL Bacula storage daemon files
bacula-storage-postgresql.i386 : Common Bacula storage daemon files
bacula-storage-sqlite.i386 : SQLite Bacula storage daemon files
bacula-traymonitor.i386 : Bacula monitor for the Gnome and KDE system tray

Then install just the client:

# yum install bacula-client

the bacula-common package will be pulled in as a dependency

And don't rely on webmin to properly manage a Linux system. IMHO, webmin is a
nice tool to give to non-tech clients who need some very-limited access to
very specific things.  ;)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC