Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question

2012-03-13 19:37:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Standalone client question
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:35:27 +0100
Am 13.03.2012 18:15, schrieb John Drescher:
> You will have to ask Centos how they packaged bacula. Each
> distribution has its own install procedure and packages its own
> version of bacula. If they do not offer a trimmed down bacula you can
> compile one yourself. The source code is easily available.

CentOS itself does indeed offer a trimmed-down bacula-client
package that does not pull in anything unnecessary, but it's
quite old. (2.4.4 for CentOS5) I guess the OP is trying to use
the CentOS packages from

[epel-bacula]
name=Bacula backports from rawhide
baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/epel-$releasever/$basearch/

recently advertised on this list. When I tried those I was quite annoyed
to find that their bacula-client package "requires" a
package called bacula-libs which in turn requires both
libmysqlclient_r.so.15 and libpq.so.4; so it actually pulls in
both the mysql and postgresql-libs packages for no good reason.
(As well as perl-DBI and lzo for good measure.)
I guess that's some sort of collateral damage of their hack to
distribute all possible database backends as shared libraries
to be switched via the alternatives mechanism.

Yes, I fleetingly thought it might be better to build the client
myself, but I was too lazy and ended up accepting the superfluous
library packages.