Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Server disaster recovery.

2012-03-02 11:17:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Server disaster recovery.
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:59:07 -0500
On 03/02/12 06:02, Wassim Zaarour wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> We are backing up to disks not tapes, now I need to set up a plan in case
> the bacula server (director) crashes.
> What to do in case the MySQL catalog is lost? Can we recover? I guess it is
> easy to keep copy of configuration files to install on a new system but what
> about the catalog?
>
> What is the best plan for the server's disaster recovery?
> Thanks.

Hi Wassim...

I have modified the catalog job's "Run Before" script so that the database
dump file created is uniquely named with a date/time stamp,
bacula-YYYYmmddD-HHMMSS.sql like so:

bacula_catalog_dump.sh:
--[snip]--

NOW=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)
BINDIR="/usr/bin"
DUMPDIR="/var/lib/bacula/catalog-dumps"
${BINDIR}/mysqldump -u ${2}${MYSQLPASSWORD}${MYSQLHOST} -f \
 --opt $1 > ${DUMPDIR}/${1}-${NOW}.sql
--[snip]--

I have also modified the catalog job's "Run After" script to delete catalog
dump files that are more than "x" days old so I always have a few spares in
that directory in case of a database failure/corruption:

# ls /var/lib/bacula/catalog-dumps
bacula-20120229-033205.sql
bacula-20120301-033849.sql
bacula-20120302-035022.sql

bacula_catalog_delete.sh:
--[snip]--
#!/bin/bash
db_name=bacula
dump_dir="/var/lib/bacula/catalog-dumps"
days_to_keep="2"

find ${dump_dir} -daystart -type f -mtime +${days_to_keep} \
     -name "${db_name}-*.sql" -exec rm -f {} \;
--[snip]--

The catalog dump is backed up nightly as part of the catalog job of course,
and the the /var/lib/bacula/catalog-dumps and /etc/bacula directories are
rsync'ed daily to another remote server in case of the type of disaster you
have described.

If there were an issue with the database, I'd always have several recent
catalogs locally that I could restore from.

And if there were an issue with the database and the /var partition (or the
whole server etc) the recent catalogs and the bacula configuration files would
be available via two scp commands after the backup server rebuild.

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC