Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Server disaster recovery.

2012-03-02 09:05:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Server disaster recovery.
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:03:07 -0500
On 3/2/2012 6:02 AM, Wassim Zaarour wrote:
Hi List,

We are backing up to disks not tapes, now I need to set up a plan in case the bacula server (director) crashes.
What to do in case the MySQL catalog is lost? Can we recover? I guess it is easy to keep copy of configuration files to install on a new system but what about the catalog?

What is the best plan for the server's disaster recovery?
Thanks.

I use a RunScript that runs after the last job of the night. The script saves an sql dump, config files, and bootstrap files to a NFS share on another server. The server hosting the NFS share is, of course, also backed up, giving a means to restore a one day old copy should both servers fail.

Bacula Dir and SD run in a qemu-kvm VM. The advantage is that it is possible to send a complete Bacula server image and XML libvirt definition along with the offsite backup media. The VM image is a ready to run Bacula server complete with up to date catalog. Restore from a total loss is then simply dd'ing the VM image to new hardware and starting the VM.

I suppose it depends on the infrastructure being used. In this case, production servers are all VMs running on a two node Pacemaker/Corosync cluster, so the above is a good fit. Since Bacula can run on either node at any time, a hardware failure on a single node does not require a restore, so more attention has been given to offsite recovery. However, the nightly scripted backup of the catalog is still needed to protect against weird database or filesystem errors.