Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Server disaster recovery.

2012-03-02 08:12:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Server disaster recovery.
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:11:00 +0000 (UTC)
Am Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:02:23 +0200 schrieb Wassim Zaarour:

> Hi List,
>
> We are backing up to disks not tapes, now I need to set up a plan in
> case the bacula server (director) crashes.
> What to do in case the MySQL catalog is lost? Can we recover? I guess it
> is easy to keep copy of configuration files to install on a new system
> but what about the catalog?
>
> What is the best plan for the server's disaster recovery?
> Thanks.

if the catalog has gone away and no sql dump is available you could use
bscan to repopulate the catalog. but it will take a looooooong time if
you have lots of tapes. And IMHO not all information is restored. Last
time I was force to use bscan the restore from the tape did read the
whole tape to restore some files instead of jumping directly to the right
place.

better you backup your bacula configs and catalog dump somewhere easyly
accessible (another server (in another building), Amazon S3, whatever) to
do a fast recovery of the bacula backup service.

- Thomas