Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Qt3 vs 4 breakage in 5.2 (Bat and Traymonitor)

2011-11-21 08:31:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Qt3 vs 4 breakage in 5.2 (Bat and Traymonitor)
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:28:27 +0100
On 11/21/2011 01:16 PM, Alan Brown wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
>> Yes, for the Enterprise binaries (rpms) on RHEL5, I compile
>> with depkgs-qt.  For RHEL6, they are on Qt 4.6.2, so the
>> depkgs-qt is not needed.
>
> One can always use a 3rd party repo to achieve this too. :)
>
> (Peter Pramberger's repo contains qt 4.6 among other useful things)
For individuals, this is a nice option.

For the project, I find pulling critical system library software from
third party
repos is not usually the best thing to do.  All our source and pre-built
Windows binaries that we redistribute comes directly from the Qt web
site (Nokia).

Eric Bollengier tells me that anything from 4.6.2 through 4.7.4 work
fine.  This
corresponds to what I am now seeing, but "officially" for the moment,
5.2.1 builds
correctly only with 4.6.2.  I think 5.2.2 will be with 4.7.4.   Qt 4.8
is in beta, and we
expect there may be some changes required to get it work, but we are a bit
more worried about Qt 5, which is on its way from what I understand.

>>> The error message is misleading.
>>
>> What error message?
>
> "uic: File generated with too old version of Qt Designer"
>
> (this is generated by Qt4.2)

It sounds like they got the test backwards.  Sorry, that is a uic
(UI compiler) problem, not much I can do about it.

>> If it is a message from Bat, we can add
>> detection of the Qt version at runtime and fail
>> Bat if it isn't at least the version we expect or later.
>
> You should.

It will be in the next version. :-)

>>> Why not move to something like gtk?
>> We used gtk in the gnome console, and first it is C so lacks the
>> additions one can get with C++
>
> OK, how about WxWidgets?

They don't have a GUI builder (or didn't the last time I looked).

I have programmed GUIs for Mac, Solaris, Windows, Gnome, wxWidgets,
Qt, Tcl/Tk and my own dialog window GUI (for AutoCAD on DOS).  Each
has its advantages (except Windows) and disadvantages, but of all of
them, I prefer working with Qt.