Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Qt3 vs 4 breakage in 5.2 (Bat and Traymonitor)

2011-11-18 14:49:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Qt3 vs 4 breakage in 5.2 (Bat and Traymonitor)
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:48:16 +0100
Hello Alan,

Concerning Bat, in Linux as is documented in the ReleaseNotes, it must be
compiled with the correct version of Qt4, which is version 4.6.2.
All the ui files compile correctly with that version of Qt4, and it
produces a stable Bat.  If you have another version of Qt4 (or Qt3)
installed on your system, you *must* then use the depkgs-qt that we
release on SourceForge.

For the Windows version of Bat, we also build it with Qt 4.6.2, and
we use the 4.6.2 Windows Qt libraries that were distributed by Trolltech.
Unfortunately since being taken over by Nokia, it is *very* difficult to
find anything but the current Qt binaries for Windows, and if you mix
different versions it will not work.  I have never thoroughly tested Bat
on Windows, so it may have a few additional problems -- for example
due to Windows socket stuff, it is generally much slower.

For the Traymonitor, Eric Bollengier wrote it.  I will leave it to him
to explain exactly what is needed.  What is clear is that none of
our ui file are for Qt3.  In addition, we have never used Qt3 for
bat (I imagine this is also true for the Traymonitor) as it was developed
entirely on Qt4.  If someone opens a ui file in Qt3, there will definitely
be problems, and we have also experienced problems in different versions
of Qt4 in getting the ui files properly updated, but I can assure you that
they all compile correctly with version 4.6.2.

Qt turns out to be one of the most incompatible libraries that I have
ever seen from version to version.

I am in the process of upgrading bat to Qt version 4.7.4 for the
next Bacula release, and without having yet had the time to do
heavy use, it seems to work pretty well on Linux.

Regards,
Kern