Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Qt3 vs 4 breakage in 5.2 (Bat and Traymonitor)

2011-11-20 04:19:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Qt3 vs 4 breakage in 5.2 (Bat and Traymonitor)
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:16:47 +0100
On 11/19/2011 04:30 PM, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 18/11/11 19:48, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> Hello Alan,
>>
>> Concerning Bat, in Linux as is documented in the ReleaseNotes, it must be
>> compiled with the correct version of Qt4, which is version 4.6.2.
> I'm cmpiling on RHEL5 which is Qt4.2 by default.

Yes, for the Enterprise binaries (rpms) on RHEL5, I compile
with depkgs-qt.  For RHEL6, they are on Qt 4.6.2, so the
depkgs-qt is not needed.

>> All the ui files compile correctly with that version of Qt4, and it
>> produces a stable Bat.  If you have another version of Qt4 (or Qt3)
>> installed on your system, you *must* then use the depkgs-qt that we
>> release on SourceForge.
> I'll look at that, thanks.
>
> The error message is misleading.

What error message?

If it is a message from Bat, we can add
detection of the Qt version at runtime and fail
Bat if it isn't at least the version we expect or later.

>> Qt turns out to be one of the most incompatible libraries that I have
>> ever seen from version to version.
> Why not move to something like gtk?
We used gtk in the gnome console, and first it is C so lacks the
additions one can get with C++ ((there is probably a gtk+ wrapper,
but it doesn't interest me).  The problem with GTK is that at least
some time ago, it had a horrible GUI builder.  GTK being C, although
it may have a more stable API than Qt, has as many or more problems than
Qt. I had as many or more problems with the Gnome console and
different versions of GTK as we have with Qt.
Anyway, converting Bat from Qt to GTK would be a total rewrite,
something that doesn't interest me personally.

The problems with Qt are minimal, and we have documented "it"
pretty well:  Build on the version that we are use for development --
that is
all.  It is sort of like if you program for Postgres 8.3, you almost
certainly
will have problems on Postgres 9.1 -- upgrades are not always so evident.