Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog

2011-09-21 06:07:24
Subject: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:04:41 +0100
Hi,

we've been happily using Bacula now for a few years, with a couple of big
disk arrays as the storage devices/media.  We use something along the lines
of what the manual documents for fully automated disk-based backups.  This
has worked well and is really quick and convenient for doing restores from.
It's expensive in hard disks though and none of the data is offline so a
particularly nasty online incident might take out the backups as well as
the live data.

Our plan now is to add a Dell LTO5 drive in and start using a COPY job once
per month.  Almost everything gets a monthly Full backup to disk, so we'll
then copy those jobs to tape and move them off-site.  A couple of tapes
will be retired from the pool each year and will be stored moreorless
indefinitely.

Do other people do this?  If so, how do you deal with pruning?  Do you just
let the database grow over time or do you let the data get pruned and use
bscan or other low-level volume tools to read them if necessary?  Is there
another approach I'm missing?

Gavin