Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog

2011-09-22 04:09:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:07:15 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Dan Langille wrote:

> > Do other people do this?
>
> I do Copy to tape.  Be aware: your tape drive must be on the same SD as
> your disk storage.  Copy and migrate jobs can involve only one SD.  You
> cannot copy/migrate from one SD to another.

Gah.  I had forgotten that, thanks.  That limitation is okay for about 80%
of our backups, but there is a second SD currently holding about 20% (and
ideally we planned it to take a greater share).

Is there any sign of development on shifting data between SDs?  I know we
had a conversation on this list about it about 18 months ago and there was
some interest and even some sponsorship.

        http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2010-01/msg00050.html

In the meantime, has anyone got any sensible workaround?  I guess we could
run all backups to one SD but have it NFS mount some of its disk-based
volumes, but this would double the network traffic during a backup so I'm
not so keen on that.

Maybe we could leave backups as normal but just use an NFS mount and a
dedicated device during the COPY job so that the SD with the tape drive
also had the disks on a local device?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Gavin