Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog

2011-09-21 20:50:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:48:15 -0400
On Sep 21, 2011, at 6:04 AM, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we've been happily using Bacula now for a few years, with a couple of big
> disk arrays as the storage devices/media.  We use something along the lines
> of what the manual documents for fully automated disk-based backups.  This
> has worked well and is really quick and convenient for doing restores from.
> It's expensive in hard disks though and none of the data is offline so a
> particularly nasty online incident might take out the backups as well as
> the live data.
>
> Our plan now is to add a Dell LTO5 drive in and start using a COPY job once
> per month.  Almost everything gets a monthly Full backup to disk, so we'll
> then copy those jobs to tape and move them off-site.  A couple of tapes
> will be retired from the pool each year and will be stored moreorless
> indefinitely.
>
> Do other people do this?

I do Copy to tape.  Be aware: your tape drive must be on the same SD as your
disk storage.  Copy and migrate jobs can involve only one SD.  You cannot
copy/migrate
from one SD to another.

>  If so, how do you deal with pruning?  Do you just
> let the database grow over time or do you let the data get pruned and use
> bscan or other low-level volume tools to read them if necessary?  Is there
> another approach I'm missing?

I keep all retention periods the same.  If anything is pruned, the entire
job/file/volume is pruned.

I think database storage is cheap compared to the hassles of not having the
data in the database.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org