Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog

2011-09-22 12:00:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:58:20 +0100
Hi,

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Ben Walton wrote:

> Not sure if this would work for you (especially as it requires some up
> front choices) but this is what I'm looking at here.  I did some small
> tests with it and it seemed to work fine.
>
> Each host has a dedicated storage pool and storage device (I'm using
> all disk-based presently) with each pool/storage combo being an
> individual directory (/backups/pool/$hostname).  Each pool has a
> hostname-based media type.

That's pretty much what we do already.

> To move backups between SD's, I simply rsync'd the current set of
> volumes to the new SD and modified the host settings for the SD (and
> updated the path to the storage as appropriate in the device
> settings).

I wouldn't be so keen on that bit.  This will be happening on a regular
basis and on a schedule, so I'd really rather not have to modify the
running config.

If we were talking about tapes here, it doesn't seem crazy for Volume-X in
Pool-X which is normally seen in Device-X on SD-X to be placed in Device-Y
on SD-Y.  So what I'm wondering is, if I create an extra device definition
on the other SD which looks at the same volumes via an NFS mount, would
that be just like me moving a tape from one drive to another and would that
do the job.

I would then specify the special DeviceY in my scheduled COPY job the
volume would be available on the same SD as the tape drive.

This is untested and I may be missing something here though, this entire
idea may be unworkable.  If it is unworkable, I'd love someone to point
that out :-) It would probably be a good idea to enable spooling, given
that the job is going to be read over the network.

Gavin