Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog

2011-09-22 11:36:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] long-term archival of tapes -- growth of the catalog
From: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:34:06 -0400
Excerpts from Gavin McCullagh's message of Thu Sep 22 04:07:15 -0400 2011:

Hi Gavin,

> Is there any sign of development on shifting data between SDs?  I know we
> had a conversation on this list about it about 18 months ago and there was
> some interest and even some sponsorship.

Not sure if this would work for you (especially as it requires some up
front choices) but this is what I'm looking at here.  I did some small
tests with it and it seemed to work fine.

Each host has a dedicated storage pool and storage device (I'm using
all disk-based presently) with each pool/storage combo being an
individual directory (/backups/pool/$hostname).  Each pool has a
hostname-based media type.

To move backups between SD's, I simply rsync'd the current set of
volumes to the new SD and modified the host settings for the SD (and
updated the path to the storage as appropriate in the device
settings).

HTH.
-Ben
--