Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Reliable Backups without Tapes?

2011-07-14 20:18:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] Reliable Backups without Tapes?
From: Ken Mandelberg <km AT mathcs.emory DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:56:55 -0400
We currently backup our department network running Legato networker with
backup to a raided disk array (advanced file device in their jargon)
followed by cloning to a Qualstar/SAIT2 tape library.

Our backup needs are increasing and we don't want to buy licenses for
more file device space or more tape slots. We would like to go with
Bacula and have no limits.

In fact since SAIT has dead ended and its not clear to me if Bacula
supports Qualstar, I wonder about an all disk solution.

Under Legato the license restriction artificially keep the "file-device"
small relative to the tape storage. However, these days disks are
cheaper than tapes and license free we could afford a lot of disk space.

However, the second feature of the tapes is that if the "file-device"
fails (even raid fails), we can transparently go to tape. It also
affords the option of off site copies of the tapes.

Is there any strategy for Bacula that adds the reliability we would lose
by abandoning the tapes. Perhaps a second redundant array combined with
some removable drives for off sites?