Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority

2011-07-14 17:51:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Setting Priority
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:48:38 -0400
On 07/14/11 16:04, Mike Hobbs wrote:
> On 07/11/2011 10:29 AM, hymie! wrote:
>> However, I might suggest that, since Incremental/Differential backups
>> depend on having a Full backup already completed, you have your
>> priorities backwards.  The Full backups, imho, should be given the higher
>> priority than the incrementals.
>
> Maybe I didn't word my email correctly.  Let me try to explain again.
>
> Currently all my machines (about 50 of them) are set to fire off their
> Full backups the first of the month.  I also have bacula configured to
> not allow duplicate jobs.  If my Full backups take a week to run (in
> some cases I have machines that take days to run a Full backup), the
> incrementals for all the jobs that are sitting in the queue will get
> cancelled due to not allowing duplicate jobs.  Because of this, there is
> a gap between when the Full backup was scheuled and when it actually
> finishes.
>
> In other words.. if I have a job sitting in the queue for a few days
> because other jobs are running, I still want incremetals of that machine
> to run while the Full is still waiting to get done.
>
> Does that make sense?

The statement of the requirement makes grammatical sense, but what
you're describing doesn't entirely.  Until that new Full completes, you
cannot run incrementals against it, and any incrementals that *do * run
are going to be incrementals against previous jobs.  No new incrementals
that are *not* started *after* the Full finishes will be based off the
new Full.

If this is what you want, then all you should need to do is turn off
'cancel duplicate jobs' and make sure that all applicable job
concurrency settings are set high enough.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.