Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What happen if I change the client of a job ? Multi node virtualization cluster

2011-03-31 06:42:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What happen if I change the client of a job ? Multi node virtualization cluster
From: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:38:59 +0200
2011/3/30 John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>:
>> My first question is : How can I tell bacula to choose dynamically the
>> client according to the result of a script ?
>>

> You can script that by echoing commands to bconsole. Then execute your
> script as a cron job.
>
>> My second question is : Can I safely/often change the client of a job
>> without having bacula going bad ? Does a client change will create a
>> rupture in my backups ? ( eg: Upgrading an incremental to full )
>>

> I believe you will be fine to do this. Although it is not something I
> have done often.
>
> John

Hi

I just tried, the same job on two clients but using the same fileset,

=> Run 1 time on 1 client.
Changed the client in the conf
=> Run 1 time on the second client

Bacula upgraded my incremental job to a full. That would be nice to
limit the client rôle to a way of accessing the content.
Is there a way to force this like if you do it with "ignore fileset changes" ?

I don't install the file daemon on the "VM to backup" because I need
to use LVM snapshots. LVM management is done directly on the physical
host and not on the client.
Then I use the strippath option of the fileset in order to backup the
snapshot without the full path to its mount point.

***
For the moment, I will just run a before job script that fails the job
to run on a bad client ( eg: the machine is migrated on another node
).
In my virtual environnent virtual machines are just migrated if there
is a problem so most of the time they stays on there original node and
so it isn't mandatory to attribute dynamically the client. To foresee
futures evolutions of my cluster's architecture that would be a good
solution to backup my VMs even if they aren't on the original node.
***

The ideal thing would be to use a variable for the client name ; to
set this variable at the good value ( Node name ) with a before job
script ; and then to mount snapshot and execute the job on the good
node (client or fd) of the virtualization cluster.

I use Proxmox with DRBD for my cluster management.

Does anyone have a solution ?

thanks

Hugo