Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling Question

2011-03-31 07:47:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling Question
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:43:52 +0100
Randy Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that I have used Bacula a full cycle (60 days) I have a question:
>
> If backups are done Full (which expires after 60 days).
> Then Diff each week and Incre each day where there is no Diff
> Then restoring from any given date going back 60 days is not a problem
> UNTIL the initial Full is replaced/overwritten. At that point all the
> Diffs and Incre
> up to the next Full cannot be restored (as far as I can see anyways)

Only if you overwrite the existing Full - which is a "VERY BAD IDEA"

What happens if the backup in progress is interrupted, as a staring point?

You should _always_ have _at least_ 1 full backup of a fileset in the
system, preferably 2. Overwriting your only copy is a recipe for disaster.

Expire your Fulls at 60 days but expire the media they're on at 190 days
(3*60 + a safety margin) - and keep the database entries at least that
long or you'll have to do any restores of older files the long way.