Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-06 12:51:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:48:18 -0500
On 01/06/11 12:16, Graham Keeling wrote:
> With my configuration, a VirtualFull sometimes prevents an Incremental from
> running, because the VirtualFull took too long (or vice versa). I have not
> been
> able to solve this, because every idea that I've come up with either doesn't
> work or makes something else happen that is worse.

Suggestion:

Schedule the day's Incremental, then schedule the VirtualFull, say, 30
minutes later.

Put a RunBeforeJob script on the incremental that creates a lockfile (in
a properly race-safe manner, of course) for the client.

Put a RunAfterJob script on the incremental that removes the lockfile.

Put a RunBeforeJob script on the VirtualFull job that checks for
presence of the client's lockfile, and, if it finds it still present,
sleeps for five minutes before checking again, and does not return until
the lockfile has been gone for two consecutive checks (thus making
certain there is a minimum of five minutes for attribute metadata from
the job to be flushed).

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.