Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-06 12:47:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: Sean Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 17:44:32 +0000
On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 11:36:10AM -0600, Sean Clark wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 11:24 AM, Mister IT Guru wrote:

> >> So, I would be very pleased if a VirtualFull also grabbed new files from
> >> the
> >> client.
> > Thank you for pointing this out! So it doesn't grab new files from the
> > client first? Well, that's not the smartest! Hmm, I wonder - How would
> > you get a job to run run after another job, rather than have bacula
> > decide via priorities?
> To be fair - if it's grabbing actual files directly from the client,
> it's no longer a "virtual" backup.  I got the impression
> that the point was to generate a "full" backup without having to talk to
> the client at all.
>
> I think if you give the virtual full a lower priority than the
> incremental, you can schedule both for the same day and have it always
> do the incremental then the virtual full in the correct order (haven't
> actually TRIED to do this myself, so I'm guessing).

You cannot do that with priorities.
You can only set a priority on a "Job". And the VirtualFulls and Incrementals
all have to come under the same Job.
I've TRIED! :)

And ordering isn't the problem. I don't mind what order they happen in.
The problem is that one overlapping with the other, and causes the other's
MaxWaitTime to exceed.