Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-07 17:36:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Blake Dunlap <ikiris AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:20:06 -0600
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 13:15, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:
Blake,
By all means post it, and you might want to consider submitting it as a
contributed support script.

 Script to automatically start VirtualFulls based on Full Backup Age attached, currently set up to have some hardcoding in the script, but easily changeable. Designed to be run from crontab piped to mail program if any issues.

Assumes a fairly simple backup structure, but easily customizable. Originally designed for our use, which consisted of age based backup schedule, each night set to incremental, with max diff age of a week, and max full age set about 2 weeks longer than the age set in the vmon script.

Script looks at the last x days of incrementals (so as to not have to read configs etc), and the most recent full backup for each job, and orders them from oldest to newest. The top x jobs with fulls older than x days have vfull backups spawned via console.

Reason for this design was so that we would have staggered backups, so as not to overload backup server, as well as to maintain under backup window.

-Blake