Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-07 06:02:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Mister IT Guru <misteritguru AT gmx DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:59:39 +0000
On 07/01/2011 10:41, Graham Keeling wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:25:05AM +0000, Mister IT Guru wrote:

>>> He was confused. A VirtualFull will create a new backup, which may involve
>>> creating a new volume.
>>>
>> Thank you for the clarification! That's what I thought before hand.
>> *phew* otherwise my backup plans would be fubard! Why do you say, "may
>> involve" creating a new volume?
> Because, depending on what bacula feels like doing, it may append to or
> recycle
> an existing volume.
>
>> I'm thinking of having a separate pool for Virtual Backups, that I will
>> rsync offsite. Will these backups be viable? If my virtual backups are
>> mixed in with my regular backups, for me, that becomes way too much to
>> be syncing offsite constantly.
> The VirtualFulls will be viable backups.
> Once they have finished, they are almost indistinguishable from normal Fulls.
> Even the 'Level' field in the database says 'F', rather than 'V' or something
> like that.
>
>> At least if my VirtualFulls are only really Diffs, I know that I'm
>> syncing the minimum amount of data off site so that I can recover in the
>> event of a full system failure. If I'm walking into a false sense of
>> security, please, someone stop me!
> Unless somebody knows better, I don't think rsync can help you, because all
> the files will be written fresh to a new location (a new volume, appended to
> an existing volume, or overwriting an existing volume), and rsync will then
> have to send the whole lot.
Ah, because any full backup copies everything anyway, so any new volumes
created will be the full dataset anyway. I suppose it's good for
transferring backups on disk to tape - For example taking monthly
backups - you know with 100% certainty, that your carrying a credible
full backup. Hmm.... I think I have to rethink my backup strategy.