Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-07 07:33:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Mister IT Guru <misteritguru AT gmx DOT com>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:30:26 +0000
On 07/01/2011 12:23, James Harper wrote:
>>> Suggestion:
>>>
>>> Schedule the day's Incremental, then schedule the VirtualFull, say,
> 30
>>> minutes later.
>>>
>>> Put a RunBeforeJob script on the incremental that creates a lockfile
> (in
>>> a properly race-safe manner, of course) for the client.
>>>
>>> Put a RunAfterJob script on the incremental that removes the
> lockfile.
>>> Put a RunBeforeJob script on the VirtualFull job that checks for
>>> presence of the client's lockfile, and, if it finds it still
> present,
>>> sleeps for five minutes before checking again, and does not return
> until
>>> the lockfile has been gone for two consecutive checks (thus making
>>> certain there is a minimum of five minutes for attribute metadata
> from
>>> the job to be flushed).
>>>

>> Brilliant - sounds workable, I just don't know if my bacula skills are
>> up to it, I'm still very fresh to it, but the theory of your
> suggestion
>> is the closest I guess we can come. I will look into in - Thank you
>> bacula list :)
> I'm not completely sure, but I think that Bacula figures out what media
> it is going to use before it calls RunBeforeJob. This would mean that if
> you schedule your VirtualFull while your Incremental is running, the
> VirtualFull will not include the Incremental backup, no matter how much
> you wait inside the VirtualFull's RunBeforeJob script.
>
> Does anyone know for sure?
>
> James
I'm thinking that a workaround for this would be a script that checks if
the previous incremental has finished, and if it hasn't exit the job,
and then schedule a new job for $timenow+30mins. And then in 30 mins,
it'll check again. That way, no overlap"

What I just said works on paper, but may not be able to actually run in
bacula, I say that because google will index this msg and people may not
read the whole thread when they find this:)