Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula

2010-10-07 16:20:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy AT karlsbakk DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 22:17:20 +0200
'Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk' wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I'm planning a Bacula setup with ZFS on the SDs (media being disk, not
>tape), and I just wonder - should I use a smaller recordsize (aka
>largest block size) than the default setting of 128kB?

Setting the recordsize to 64k has worked well for us so far.

If you are limited on CPU power you might consider to disable the SD's
checksum feature since ZFS already does that.

>Also, last I tried, with ZFS on a test box, I enabled compression, the
>lzjb algorithm (very lightwegith and quite decent compression). For
>'normal' data, I usually get 30%+ compression with this, but for the
>data backed up with bacula, it didn't look that good, compression being
>down to 3-5%. Any idea what might cause this?

I have played with ZFS compression aswell - some clients yield good
results (20% +) while others do not. Bacula does a good job at
compacting data when writing it's volumes files which can impact
compression aswell.

Our current SD's are a bit low on CPU power during prime time but I'll
do some more serious testing once my new 48 core boxes arrive.

>Vennlige hilsener / Best regards
>
>roy
>--
>Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
>(+47) 97542685
>roy AT karlsbakk DOT net
>http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
>--
>I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
>intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å
>unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de
>fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT scannet DOT dk
Tlf. 75 53 35 00