Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula

2010-10-09 07:34:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 13:31:30 +0200
'Phil Stracchino' wrote:
>On 10/07/10 13:47, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm planning a Bacula setup with ZFS on the SDs (media being disk,
>> not tape), and I just wonder - should I use a smaller recordsize (aka
>> largest block size) than the default setting of 128kB?
>
>Actually, there are arguments in favor of using a larger, not smaller,
>block size for applications such as this where you expect the major
>usage to be extended streaming reads and writes.

As a general rule I do agree (especially when dealing with sequential
I/O) - but it still is dependend on the application I/O.

>That said, my own disk SD runs on ZFS with default block size and works
>just fine.

$ for f in `ls`; do zfs get -Hpo value recordsize storage01-01/bacula/$f; done
| uniq -c
     189 131072

189 ZFS filesystems all with the default 128k recordsize.

A quick peek with dtrace shows this :

$ dtrace -n 'sysinfo:::writech  / execname == "bacula-sd" / {
@dist[execname] = quantize(arg0); }'

dtrace: description 'sysinfo:::writech  ' matched 4 probes
^C

   bacula-sd
            value  ------------- Distribution ------------- count
                2 |                                         0
                4 |                                         4
                8 |                                         0
               16 |                                         3
               32 |                                         0
               64 |@@@@                                     75216
              128 |@                                        18477
              256 |@@@@                                     74357
              512 |                                         0
             1024 |                                         0
             2048 |                                         0
             4096 |                                         0
             8192 |                                         0
            16384 |                                         0
            32768 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@           514260
            65536 |                                         0

This was taken during a single full backup of a windows client.

The sysinfo:::writech call covers all write(2), writev(2) or pwrite(2)
system calls - writes generated by the bacula-sd process seem to be
limited to 32k, regardless of the underlying recordsize (upper block
size limit).

I'll run this tonight when we have ~100 clients backing up towards this
machine - I'll will monitor the actual I/O size as seen by ZFS aswell
and post the output is someone is interested ...

>--
>  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>  alaric AT caerllewys DOT net   alaric AT metrocast DOT net   phil AT
> co.ordinate DOT org
>         Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
>                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT scannet DOT dk