Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula

2010-10-07 14:14:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:11:27 +0200
On 10/07/2010 07:47 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm planning a Bacula setup with ZFS on the SDs (media being disk, not tape),
> and I just wonder - should I use a smaller recordsize (aka largest block
> size) than the default setting of 128kB?
>
> Also, last I tried, with ZFS on a test box, I enabled compression, the lzjb
> algorithm (very lightwegith and quite decent compression). For 'normal' data,
> I usually get 30%+ compression with this, but for the data backed up with
> bacula, it didn't look that good, compression being down to 3-5%. Any idea
> what might cause this?

If the data coming from bacula are already compressed by the bacula-fd there's
little space for improvement.
In your type of setup, I would disable compression on bacula-fd increasing the
speed of backup, your sd doing it by zfs mechanism.

> Vennlige hilsener / Best regards
>
> roy
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
> (+47) 97542685
> roy AT karlsbakk DOT net
> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
> --
> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det
> er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av
> idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og
> relevante synonymer på norsk.

Bruno Friedmann (irc:tigerfoot)
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 openSUSE Member