Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula

2010-10-07 14:41:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ZFS and Bacula
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:39:26 -0400
I have been using this setup for awhile. You absolutely must disable Bacula compression on the ZFS Devices within the SD or for the specific Pools that have volumes on the ZFS. Doubling up encryption can actually increase file sizes and also lead to data errors.

-Shon

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch> wrote:
On 10/07/2010 07:47 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm planning a Bacula setup with ZFS on the SDs (media being disk, not tape), and I just wonder - should I use a smaller recordsize (aka largest block size) than the default setting of 128kB?
>
> Also, last I tried, with ZFS on a test box, I enabled compression, the lzjb algorithm (very lightwegith and quite decent compression). For 'normal' data, I usually get 30%+ compression with this, but for the data backed up with bacula, it didn't look that good, compression being down to 3-5%. Any idea what might cause this?

If the data coming from bacula are already compressed by the bacula-fd there's little space for improvement.
In your type of setup, I would disable compression on bacula-fd increasing the speed of backup, your sd doing it by zfs mechanism.

> Vennlige hilsener / Best regards
>
> roy
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
> (+47) 97542685
> roy AT karlsbakk DOT net
> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
> --
> I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.

Bruno Friedmann (irc:tigerfoot)
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 openSUSE Member
   User www.ioda.net/r/osu