Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Storage Daemon crash backtrace

2010-06-30 11:42:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Storage Daemon crash backtrace
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:35:16 -0600
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:

This seems to a support issue. �The dump that you posted shows no indication
of a crash, which means that your understanding of a crash an mine are
different.

This is possibly a deadlock, but I won't spend any more time on it until the
problem is a bit clearer.

Best regards,

Kern

By the way, if this is a production system, you should be running on Lenny,
which is known to be stable, and we support it.

I'm not really sure what you need as a good backtrace, since I'm not a programmer. I always thought that segfault lead to a program crashing. I just don't know enough about gdb to know when there is enough information. All I know is that when it crashes when running as a daemon, I get a traceback that is useless in my e-mail (says no ptrace). When I run it under gdb and get the segfault, when I type 'cont' it says that bacula-sd has exited, and when I run it again, it doesn't complain that a process is already running. In both cases, there is no process called bacula-sd running on the system.

I updated/upgraded about 10 clients yesterday to using TLS, and I did not get a crash from the SD. I will keep running it under the debugger in case it crashes again, although, I'm not sure how useful it will be if I can not operate gdb correctly to get you anything helpful. I have a feeling it's some perfect storm of configuration that may be causing the issue. I've been running Bacula for 6 years and never have had a problem like this. I'm just trying to help the project be as robust as possible because we like it and it has treated us so well in the past.

As a side note, I get a lot more connection timeouts and broken pipes when using TLS, adding heartbeat interval helps, but it is not a silver bullet. Most of the back-ups are succeeding with only a few here and there having problems. Not using TLS and not�having�heartbeat interval, the back-ups aways succeed. I'll keep working through things and see if I can come up with anything.

Thank you for the time and the great project.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University

P.S. We are working on a support contract and will be talking with you in about 24 hours with many others from our group who are also interested in using Bacula.