Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Basic question on Pruning and Volume Retention

2010-05-24 17:38:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Basic question on Pruning and Volume Retention
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 17:36:15 -0400

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:34:26 +0200
> From: Marcus M?lb?sch <muelbuesch AT as-infodienste DOT de>
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
>> >    I have to admit I am a bit confused now with two places to define
>> > AutoPrune.
>> >
>> >     The manual tells nothing about which resource takes precedence; or
>> > at least I cannot find it.
> One cigarette later it is clear now:
>
>     The AutoPrune directive in the Client Resource prunes Job and File
> records; while the AutoPrune directive in the Pool Resource prunes
> volume records.
>
>     Pruning Volume records also prunes file and job records.
>
>     So to keep the archived backups in the catalog I need to disable
> AutoPruning of File and Job Records, disable AutoPruning in the Pool
> resource for the Pool containing the Volumes with the Archives, but
> enable AutoPruning for the Volumes containing the Monthly, Weekly, Daily
> Pools.
>
>     I think I finally got it right :-)
>
> Marcus

I believe pruning a volume does NOT prune file and job records.  I believe
when you try to prune a volume, bacula checks for unpruned job records and
if it finds any it does not prune the volume.  I think it does not check
for whether there are still Files in the db associated with that job,
however.  For archives, you may find it easier to just set a meaningful
retention period for the job and a short retention period for the files and
then bscan them back in if needed.  But that's a pain.  I would question
the usefulness of most any backup package for "archiving" data.

Client hard drive space is cheap and your space requirements for new data
are probably growing exponentially (as opposed to linearly) so you may be
able to just keep it live wherever it lives--setting it Read-Only or
something to avoid accidental deletion or modifications.