Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Basic question on Pruning and Volume Retention

2010-05-20 04:36:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Basic question on Pruning and Volume Retention
From: Marcus Mülbüsch <muelbuesch AT as-infodienste DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:34:26 +0200
>    I have to admit I am a bit confused now with two places to define
> AutoPrune.
>
>     The manual tells nothing about which resource takes precedence; or
> at least I cannot find it.

One cigarette later it is clear now:

    The AutoPrune directive in the Client Resource prunes Job and File
records; while the AutoPrune directive in the Pool Resource prunes
volume records.

    Pruning Volume records also prunes file and job records.

    So to keep the archived backups in the catalog I need to disable
AutoPruning of File and Job Records, disable AutoPruning in the Pool
resource for the Pool containing the Volumes with the Archives, but
enable AutoPruning for the Volumes containing the Monthly, Weekly, Daily
Pools.

    I think I finally got it right :-)

Marcus