Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Simplified pools

2010-04-07 05:47:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Simplified pools
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:44:19 +0100

> On 04/06/10 17:28, Kevin Keane wrote:
> >> From: Phil Stracchino [mailto:alaric AT metrocast DOT net]
> >>
> >> Actually, this is a problem which has largely been fixed in
> >> Bacula-3 and later, by changing the way overrides work.
> >
> > Really? I see this problem in bacula 3.0.3 all the time. Maybe I need
> > to change something in my configuration to take advantage of this new
> > feature. How is it supposed to work?
>
> The old Schedule-based overrides are still *supported* in 3.0.3, for
> backward compatibility, but are deprecated - precisely because of the
> problem you note - in favor of the following example syntax:
>

> Schedule {
>   Name = "Monthly Rotation"
>   Run = Full 1st mon at 03:30
>   Run = Differential 2nd-5th mon at 03:30
>   Run = Incremental tue-sun at 03:30
> }
>
> JobDefs {
>   Name = Backup
>   Type = Backup
>   Level = Full
>   Pool = Full-Tape
>   Full Backup Pool = Full-Tape
>   Differential Backup Pool = Diff-Disk
>   Incremental Backup Pool = Incr-Disk
>   Schedule = "Monthly Rotation"
>   [...]
> }
>

> The change was made because, basically, it proved extremely difficult to
> avoid the pool mismatch problem using the schedule-based override code.
>  Putting pool overrides in the job definition allows the job to select
> its own pool, which means that in case of level promotion, it
> automatically just Does The Right Thing.

It isn't very flexible though.  E.g. the "Daily, Weekly, Monthly" example in
the manual uses two different pools for Full backups at different times, with
appropriate retention times to keep the Monthly data longest.

Schedule {
  Name = "NightlySave"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Monthly 1st sat at 03:05
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Weekly 2nd-5th sat at 03:05
  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=Daily tue-fri at 03:05
}

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html#SECTION002560000000000000000

__Martin