Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Simplified pools

2010-04-06 07:00:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Simplified pools
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:57:40 +0800
Kevin Keane wrote:
> I second this idea. Maybe you could turn it into a feature request
> (see the Web site for instructions on how to do that).
>
> Your idea would solve very nicely solve one really ugly problem: when
> manually running a backup job, the job may end up in the wrong pool -
> even if you actually remembered to select the correct one.

Yep, that bites me all the time, and is a large part of why I suggested
it. It's a real headache, whether the job is manually run or not.

A related problem that gets me is that due to the inflexibility of
configuration by level in Job definitions, I often land up having to do
lots of fiddling in Schedule definitions, like:

Schedule {
  Name = "ArchivalCycle"
  Run = Level=Full        Pool=ArchivalPool SpoolData=no jan 1st sun at
23:11
  Run = Level=Full        Pool=ArchivalPool SpoolData=no apr 1st sun at
23:11
  Run = Level=Full        Pool=ArchivalPool SpoolData=no jul 1st sun at
23:11
  Run = Level=Full        Pool=ArchivalPool SpoolData=no oct 1st sun at
23:11
  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=ArchivalPool              mon-sat at 23:11
}

where the schedule overrides the (global default) SpoolData directive
for full backups. If I run a full backup manually, data spooling will be
enabled, and the logical volume used for spooling will get filled up
causing the backup (and others) to fail.

( Unlike most of my jobs the above schedule doesn't have different pools
for incremental/diff/full backups so it doesn't have upgrade problems).

> I would NOT recommend the AddLevelSuffix directive - that is too
> inflexible, as well as unnecessary. You can simply include ${Level}
> in your LabelFormat directive. Note that if you include a variable in
> the label format, Bacula will no longer automatically append the
> volume ID.
>
> LabelFormat="System${Level}-${NumVols}"

I thought variable-expansion in label formats were well and truly
deprecated in favour of the Python scripting support?

--
Craig Ringer