Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Unmount command (Re: eSATA / USB disks as media for Bacula)

2009-11-14 21:35:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Unmount command (Re: eSATA / USB disks as media for Bacula)
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 04:31:15 +0200
"Michael FIG" <michael AT fig DOT org> kirjoitti viestissä
news:87d43kn9qm.fsf AT fire.fig DOT org...
> "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have any more up-to-date information of this disk
>> unmount issue?
>
> IMHO, "mount/unmount" are very different operations for disk and
> tapes.  For tapes, it is acceptable to leave them "mounted" in the
> drive, because a "rm -rf /" won't touch them.  For disks, they are
> made part of the filesystem namespace when they are mounted, so their
> contents will get blown away by "rm -rf /".
>
> That's scary to me... the only reason I'm using Bacula instead of just
> RAID mirroring is that accidental or naive malicious attacks can wipe
> out all my data.  I realize that moving my backups to a secure offsite
> location is the only way to prevent this fully, but I'm looking for
> middle ground with convenience and some measure of safety.
>
> I'm currently using the patches mentioned by Cedric Tefft at:
>
> http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1361

Nice... I hadn't found that by myself.

So, there should be a fix at least in 3.1.x, and possibly in 3.0.3 too if
they backported it... I'm eager to see the new rpms appear some day so I can
try this again with 3.0.3

--
TiN